Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: UFC 222:: Cyborg/Kunitskaya, Edgar/Ortega

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,697 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tukh View Post
    Meh. I'd hoped for a little more. I'm pretty sure Yoder was hand-picked for her and she barely eeked out that victory. Obviously she's great on the ground but she seems horribly one dimensional and clumsy elsewhere.

Yeah, this is true but Dern is still very green in MMA.......I did see a few MMA media guys saying pre fight they were worried she was in the UFC too soon and she'd have been better served in Invivta for another 2 or 3 fights where the talent pool was less and expectation to progress quickly would be less also. Hopefully the UFC don't push her to a tough fight for a few fights yet.

I thought the same thing live, but I'm not totally really to throw him under the bus. Did they signal ahead of time that they were going to touch gloves? If not, then it seems reasonable to charge in as soon as the ref says go. If your opponent throws up a hand at the last second, are you supposed to stop rushing in?

I could be wrong ... I rewound it once and couldn't really tell.

Maybe I'm biased because I think it's a redundant unnecessary delay. I appreciate the gesture, but fighters have a chance to do that before the fight starts. Why invite controversy and delay the fight every time?

Conor did the same *asshole* move btw. I'm not really making a point, just saying...

Not rewatched, but I'm pretty sure it was Hernandez who offered up the glove touch and then punched Dariush when he responded. That's what pissed me off. I agree though, very redundant and unnecessary delay to the fight, refs should instruct fighters to stop it. I seen Bec Rawlings tweet about it, she said she often gets hate because she always refuses the glove touch once the round starts.......she said, this is why she does it. She's right.

Dodson will never be a factor until he realizes he's mediocre and starts improving again. He seemed awful content with a lucky (IMO) split decision victory against #10 at 135.

Yeah, he's the same fighter he was 5 years ago.......and he does get wins still, but it's clear most fighters kinda have him figured out with what he's going to do.

Maybe a no-contest is reasonable, but guys can't win by KO after the bell. If that was the case, no-one would ever hear the bell.
    They don't ever NEED to hear the bell, the ref should be in place to end the round. Given what BJM said yesterday, I'm more confused on the rule again, but you can KO someone whilst the round is live, and the bell doesn't signal the end of the round, so until the ref steps in, the round is live.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    God dammit, MMA needs a real and proper rule set that is used every time, not picked and chosen from by whomever is using them. BJM said after the GDR fight that the ref needed to step in to stop the action, now a call of time is good. Fair enough, he knows better than I........but it's all becoming a bit tedious.
    See I think that referee shouting/calling stop to action with the buzzer is enough. Standing in does help definitely. But there'd be no controversy if there was a clear rule set. With referees being strict. Taken the damn points off for any fouls included.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
    "Hard work pays off, dreams come true, bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!" - Scott Hall 2014

Crypter
    Thanks
    God dammit, MMA needs a real and proper rule set that is used every time, not picked and chosen from by whomever is using them. BJM said after the GDR fight that the ref needed to step in to stop the action, now a call of time is good. Fair enough, he knows better than I........but it's all becoming a bit tedious.
    On the other hand, Chael says it should have been a K.O. (BJM is a better authority, but Chael *really* knows his shit). So, two of the smartest guys in the sport can't agree on what the ruling should be. That's clearly a terrible rule.

Again, the rule should be simple so no-one will be confused.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tukh For This Useful Post:

BluenoseGreig (03-08-2018)

Crypter
    Thanks
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

They don't ever NEED to hear the bell, the ref should be in place to end the round. Given what BJM said yesterday, I'm more confused on the rule again, but you can KO someone whilst the round is live, and the bell doesn't signal the end of the round, so until the ref steps in, the round is live.
    Well, you got me there on the wording, but I meant that fighters will throw the extra punch after the round ends if they're being rewarded for it.

Crypter
    Thanks
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Not rewatched, but I'm pretty sure it was Hernandez who offered up the glove touch and then punched Dariush when he responded. That's what pissed me off. I agree though, very redundant and unnecessary delay to the fight, refs should instruct fighters to stop it. I seen Bec Rawlings tweet about it, she said she often gets hate because she always refuses the glove touch once the round starts.......she said, this is why she does it. She's right.
    I rewatched a bit and it's still inconclusive to me. I guess we'll see if that kind of behavior is the norm for him.

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Well, you got me there on the wording, but I meant that fighters will throw the extra punch after the round ends if they're being rewarded for it.
    yea, I don't like the theory of "the ref ends the round" not the bell, so In a split second after the bell goes off you can drop a couple more elbows until the ref can physically get in between you or grab your arm? The Lombard one was close because he started his combo as the bell sounded but the second shot landed after the bell....as a ref very hard to stop in real time aside from diving in and getting hit for your efforts in a split second situation. At the same time Dollaway has to protect himself because if that round was a few seconds longer he was getting ko'd. It was a big shot that was landed and I'm sure Dollaway was stunned but at the same time it was hard to tell if CB was selling it or not.

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 855 Posts
    Holy fuck.... Just watched Brian Ortega interview after the fight, and somebody asked him what he weighed that night. He said he weighed in, obviously, at 145 officially, and said on fight night he weighed 164... Geez Louise, that's a huge swing. I've heard other fighters make similar claims, like I remember Urijah Faber saying he gained almost twenty pounds overnight when he rehydrated, but damn, no wonder he hit so hard...

Not official obviously, but starting to hear July tossed about for Holloway/Ortega. In the same interview somebody asked Brian about Holloway in July, and he just said "Yeah..." Guess Max has to get cleared, don't really know the extent of his injury but I know he hurt a leg. Dana White was quoted as saying he saw Max on the set of TUF, said he looked good and wasn't limping, so he wants the fight as soon as possible. Would rather see Max fully healed and with a good full training camp, so July sounds about right.

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAX View Post
    yea, I don't like the theory of "the ref ends the round" not the bell, so In a split second after the bell goes off you can drop a couple more elbows until the ref can physically get in between you or grab your arm? The Lombard one was close because he started his combo as the bell sounded but the second shot landed after the bell....as a ref very hard to stop in real time aside from diving in and getting hit for your efforts in a split second situation. At the same time Dollaway has to protect himself because if that round was a few seconds longer he was getting ko'd. It was a big shot that was landed and I'm sure Dollaway was stunned but at the same time it was hard to tell if CB was selling it or not.
    I think CB was selling it, but not much at all. Probably the same amount Weidman did against Mousasi, definitely hurt but milked it a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Mu_Shin View Post
    Holy fuck.... Just watched Brian Ortega interview after the fight, and somebody asked him what he weighed that night. He said he weighed in, obviously, at 145 officially, and said on fight night he weighed 164... Geez Louise, that's a huge swing. I've heard other fighters make similar claims, like I remember Urijah Faber saying he gained almost twenty pounds overnight when he rehydrated, but damn, no wonder he hit so hard...

Not official obviously, but starting to hear July tossed about for Holloway/Ortega. In the same interview somebody asked Brian about Holloway in July, and he just said "Yeah..." Guess Max has to get cleared, don't really know the extent of his injury but I know he hurt a leg. Dana White was quoted as saying he saw Max on the set of TUF, said he looked good and wasn't limping, so he wants the fight as soon as possible. Would rather see Max fully healed and with a good full training camp, so July sounds about right.
    Thoughts on the Lombard shot? And Cyborg fighting Bantamweights? I'd like to read your perspective on it.
    "Hard work pays off, dreams come true, bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!" - Scott Hall 2014

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,764 Times in 4,796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu_Shin View Post

Holloway was surfing the other day, so he better be good to go
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

Crypter
    Thanks

KO punch was not only after the bell, it was after the ref yelled "time".

You could argue that the combination was started before the ref yelled time, but I think we're all arguing the wrong thing. The KO punch was late by any measure