Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 222:: Cyborg/Kunitskaya, Edgar/Ortega

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 855 Posts

UFC 222:: Cyborg/Kunitskaya, Edgar/Ortega

Didn't see a thread for 222...

Watching the Countdown to UFC 222, and getting warmed up for this one.

First, want to say how much I love and respect Frankie Edgar. That guy has the kind of heart I wish all fighters had, but if they did, I think we'd be seeing bloodbaths beyond description in the cage. Frankie is in a way the ultimate nightmare, the guy you have to stop with a 2x4 coming out of the locker room, as he just plain doesn't quit. His recovery and eventual victory all those years ago against Grey Maynard, I think that fight alone qualifies Edgar for the Hall of Fame.

That said, just watched the portion of the program focusing on Brian Ortega, and damn man, this kid is something special. I guess he started fighting when he was 15, has trained under the Gracies for years, wears a legit BJJ black belt, and his icy calm demeanor is really impressive. I think we all saw the Cub Swanson fight, and how deftly Ortega handled a super tough super experienced UFC veteran.

Part of what I learned tonight watching this show is Ortega has also been training boxing, and again, damn, he has fast hands. Like really fast. Frankie Edgar is a really good MMA striker, but Ortega will have a height and reach advantage, which plays to a good boxer's advantage, and Brian has a good jab that could keep Edgar at prime distance. With all the ju itsu experience, it also adds up to a good ground match-up, as Frankie has always had good wrestling and MMA grappling, while Ortega exhibits true high level jits that makes me think of masters like Maia and Shields.

I think this fight has the potential to be a true classic. Already thinking it's the kind of fight that should be five rounds, but they'll have to get it done in three...

After the Cyborg/Holm fight, where we saw Cristiane Justino fight like a true champion, using her head as well as her weapons to achieve a clear victory, it's really hard to pick against her, to say nothing of the fact that she hasn't lost an MMA fight since 2005. Doesn't seem like anyone knows a whole lot about Kunitskaya, who has a 10-3 record, but has gone 1-1 with 1NC since fighting outside of Russia and Europe. She apparently has a good athletic pedigree, as I just read her mom was a gymnast and her dad a professional skier, but she's going into the cage with the most dangerous woman who's ever competed in MMA, in my humble opinion... Expecting pain, and another dominant win by the UFC women's featherweight champion.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mu_Shin For This Useful Post:

Kickass32 (02-26-2018),Washed Up (02-26-2018)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,764 Times in 4,796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just added poster
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickass32 For This Useful Post:

Mu_Shin (02-26-2018)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,697 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me, the most impressive thing about Ortega is that he never panics, and is never out of a fight. I'm not sure it's still the case but I don't think Ortega has won a round in the UFC yet, and that's been 4, 3 round fights in there but he's always looking for the finish, even if it means he's constantly putting himself in bad positions to get it. Makes him a hell of a fun fighter to watch.

As for Cyborg, Kunitskaya is decent but not even a top 10 135'r, she's just another under sized, over matched opponent for Cyborg to crush. Amanda Nunes is facing tougher fighters than Cyborg every time she fights IMO.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    For me, the most impressive thing about Ortega is that he never panics, and is never out of a fight. I'm not sure it's still the case but I don't think Ortega has won a round in the UFC yet, and that's been 4, 3 round fights in there but he's always looking for the finish, even if it means he's constantly putting himself in bad positions to get it. Makes him a hell of a fun fighter to watch.

As for Cyborg, Kunitskaya is decent but not even a top 10 135'r, she's just another under sized, over matched opponent for Cyborg to crush. Amanda Nunes is facing tougher fighters than Cyborg every time she fights IMO.
    I think Ortega may have won a round in his last fight....but that was his first. Ortega has quickly become one of my favorite fighters for the reasons you say plus he's a humble MoFo......I really hope that he beats Edgar, and it's not a knock against Frankie, I just want Ortega to succeed
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    I think Ortega may have won a round in his last fight....but that was his first. Ortega has quickly become one of my favorite fighters for the reasons you say plus he's a humble MoFo......I really hope that he beats Edgar, and it's not a knock against Frankie, I just want Ortega to succeed
    Yeah, I couldn't recall if he won round 1 of the Swanson fight or not......but that fight aside, he's lost them all. I'd really like to see Ortega win here too, we need new blood to start knocking the old guard down now, badly.

We Are The People!

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I couldn't recall if he won round 1 of the Swanson fight or not......but that fight aside, he's lost them all. I'd really like to see Ortega win here too, we need new blood to start knocking the old guard down now, badly.
    ....and that, in part, is what makes T-City so special.....going into the 3rd round of every fight down 2-0 and still managing to win every fight in a dominant way
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ....and that, in part, is what makes T-City so special.....going into the 3rd round of every fight down 2-0 and still managing to win every fight in a dominant way
    I wish all fighters had this mentality......but too many are happy to take it to the judges and hope to get a decision. Mike Perry showed a similar mentality at the weekend, he really chased the win in the 3rd, just couldn't get it done.

We Are The People!

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I wish all fighters had this mentality......but too many are happy to take it to the judges and hope to get a decision. Mike Perry showed a similar mentality at the weekend, he really chased the win in the 3rd, just couldn't get it done.
    Perry tried but he lumbered through the first 2 rounds....I'm not sure he's got the skills in any area to be "that kind" of fighter other than having that KO power
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Perry tried but he lumbered through the first 2 rounds....I'm not sure he's got the skills in any area to be "that kind" of fighter other than having that KO power
    Yeah, but I do admire his will to win. Jax nailed it in the discussion thread, he'll never be more than a Chris Leben type, unless he trains somewhere where he will actually learn.

We Are The People!

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, but I do admire his will to win. Jax nailed it in the discussion thread, he'll never be more than a Chris Leben type, unless he trains somewhere where he will actually learn.
    Oh yeah credit to him or sure for being a gamer.
    I saw a tweet yesterday that made me laugh, something to the effect of "starting off a horrible day as a MMA fighter....step 1/ pick your trainer and it had a picture of Edmond and another picture of Perry's wife...I found that very amusing
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan