Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 221 Discussion

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,683 Times in 4,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, forgot one other thing from last night........that eye gouge by Jingliang was brutal, how the ref allowed it to happen without at least a point deduction, but really it should have been an instant DQ, is beyond me.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,736 Times in 4,769 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu_Shin View Post
    Wow.... Went out to a bar to see the main events. Apparently missed a couple good ones on the way out, but damn, co-main and main were great...

Curtis Blaydes is for real. For one, he took a couple shots from Hunt that would have ended a lot of fights, and he dished out some power on the feet as well. Hunt is obviously a world class kick boxer, and slipped a lot of shots from Blaydes, using years of experience on the feet to demonstrate technical superiority in that aspect. Curtis responded to his corner's suggestion and went for the takedown, to great effect. With youth, natural strength, and deep wrestling knowledge, Curtis was able to manhandle Hunt in a way I don't think anyone has ever done before. Blaydes also rained down the ground and pound, showing me he's going to be a major challenge for any top ten heavyweight.

My only complaint with the Hunt/Blaydes fight was the scoring. With the heavy shots and the knockdown, I had Hunt taking round one. While Blaydes did have ring control and top time in round one, Hunt almost ended the fight, and for me that was a solid 10-9 Hunt. Could have gone 10-8 for round three I guess, but I scored the fight 29-28 Blaydes.

Disappointed that a fighter of Romero's level and ranking misses weight, but we've seen it happen many times, so I guess he can be forgiven. Personally, I gave Rockhold rounds one and two, with the great leg kicks (just saw Romero interviewed, and he thinks his leg is broken...) and a great jab that repeatedly snapped Roel's head back. There was one good rally in the beginning of round two by Romero, but most of the shots seen in slow motion weren't that effective, and in real time I thought Luke blocked most of those. Round three opens (I'm by myself in the bar) and I'm practically talking out loud telling Luke "Take the leg!!!," shades of Karate Kid I... Those leg kicks were so good, but he gave them up and was trying to box. Luke was faster, and was scoring, but Romero always has that punching power in reserve, and when he caught Rockhold, that was all she wrote...

Lots of new talent showing up, lots of lesser known names putting on great fights. Good stuff to come, and we should see some movement in the rankings after this strong night of fights.
    I scored round 1 Rockhold, round 2 to Romero. Luke was by far the more technical striker and was doing a good job, but he got a little lazy in the 3rd and was keeping his right hand pretty low. This win by Romero makes the division kind of a joke though....I feel bad for Whittaker he is the champion, rightfully so but doesn't get a chance to make that "statement" fight where he wins the title.

Blaydes/Hunt......I scored round 1 for Hunt 10-9, round 2 to Blaydes 10-9 and round 3 to Blaydes 10-8......29-27 Blaydes for me.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kickass32 For This Useful Post:

Mu_Shin (02-15-2018),Washed Up (02-11-2018)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    I was being kind of funny with my reply, but it does suck for Whittaker, especially now Romero has won, so as I mentioned also, Jacare, Wiedman and Gastelum need to either call out Whittaker now.......or call out each other to jump ahead of Romero.
    I just don't see a "realistic" possibility other than Romero next for Whittaker, as much as I don't want to see it
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    I just don't see a "realistic" possibility other than Romero next for Whittaker, as much as I don't want to see it
    I see Wiedman on Twitter calling for the fight. But yeah, Romero is the realistic option for now.......if any of the other 3 guys can get booked to fight each other quickly, and win well, they could realistically jump ahead IMO.

We Are The People!

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see Wiedman on Twitter calling for the fight. But yeah, Romero is the realistic option for now.......if any of the other 3 guys can get booked to fight each other quickly, and win well, they could realistically jump ahead IMO.
    If they can book Weidman/Jacare real quick and Chris wins in devastating fashion yeah.....but I think it's Romero's fight to lose...and I don't like it
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If they can book Weidman/Jacare real quick and Chris wins in devastating fashion yeah.....but I think it's Romero's fight to lose...and I don't like it
    Agreed. It just seems wrong for a guy to get a title shot after missing weight......book Romero to fight Kelvin, best winner gets the shot. I'm not sure how long Whittaker is from a return too, there could be some time to spare.

We Are The People!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluenoseGreig For This Useful Post:

Kickass32 (02-11-2018),Washed Up (02-11-2018)

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. It just seems wrong for a guy to get a title shot after missing weight......book Romero to fight Kelvin, best winner gets the shot. I'm not sure how long Whittaker is from a return too, there could be some time to spare.
    They did that in the past...2 "number 1 contender fights" and the best finisher of the 2 winners gets the title shot
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Brotherhood
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,021 Posts
    The fights themselves weren't too bad considering the card which I think will be the norm going forward. I thought this was a fight Luke would loose considering his habit of dropping his right hand after he throws his hook. Bisping drew the blueprint on that and Branch almost did the same thing and with Luke's chin being in question 1 of Romero's shots should be lots to put him away.

I just don't like the fact of him getting the next shot considering he didn't make weight. Guys not making weight for fights are winning at a high % which isn't fair but Luke never complained much about it. Luke said he might go up to 205 soon anyhow so now might be the right time, 185 is full of contenders while 205 is the worst division in the UFC right now...he will prob have an easier time getting a shot at 205 then at 185.

I was disappointed in Hunts TDD, he stuffed some in the first but rounds 2 and 3 he was getting taken down at will. With Hunts height and weight I would think TDD would be an easy skill for him to master, I figured Blaydes being a big guy and a wrestler would be able to get Hunt down at some point but not as easy and often as he did.

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to see Rockhold/Shogun at 205. No DC and Jones, Rockhold is champ IMO
    Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

Crypt Administrator
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to see Rockhold/Shogun at 205. No DC and Jones, Rockhold is champ IMO
    I think he could be champ, unless Romero follows him there!!! Seriously though, he'd be in the mix, Gustafsson/Rockhold could be a great fight.

We Are The People!