Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 151 to 160 of 160

Thread: UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre

  1. #151
    Brotherhood
    JAX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Great white North
    Posts
    8,161
    Points
    6,273.93
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    Agreed.....Conor gets nothing out of that fight at 155....he wants GSP, cause he's a name and because (possibly) it'll be for a 3rd title....a fight with GSP for no belt (for Conor to gain) while not a "nothing" fight is small potato's compared to a fight with GSP for Conor to try for title #3
    It gives him a chance to win, after the second Diaz fight at 170 he knew that's not for him....let alone one of the best with GSP, if mini Mendez can take Conor down do you think GSP would not be able to do it above Conor's weight class? It's suicide and Conor's not that dumb to realize what would happen to him.

  2. #152
    Crypter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,579
    Points
    30,892.88
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 318 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    Agreed.....Conor gets nothing out of that fight at 155...
    It could easily be the biggest fight in the history of MMA. I don't understand how Conor gets nothing out of it.

  3. #153
    Crypt Administrator
    Kickass32's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    54,697
    Points
    10,332.55
    Thanks
    8,143
    Thanked 5,784 Times in 4,815 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Tukh View Post
    It could easily be the biggest fight in the history of MMA. I don't understand how Conor gets nothing out of it.
    I don't think it is...not unless Conor gets a crack at a 3rd belt.....it's still a big fight, but not a lot bigger than any Conor fight that doesn't involve a 3rd title shot...IMO anyways
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

    The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

    Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickass32 For This Useful Post:

    BluenoseGreig (11-12-2017)

  5. #154
    Crypt Administrator
    BluenoseGreig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    58,378
    Points
    5,535.52
    Thanks
    7,034
    Thanked 5,705 Times in 4,950 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Tukh View Post
    It could easily be the biggest fight in the history of MMA. I don't understand how Conor gets nothing out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    I don't think it is...not unless Conor gets a crack at a 3rd belt.....it's still a big fight, but not a lot bigger than any Conor fight that doesn't involve a 3rd title shot...IMO anyways
    Exactly, the biggest fight in MMA is the one where Conor has the chance to beat a legend, but also win a 3rd world title.......yes a defence over a legend is great too, but so would be a defence over say Holloway at 155, an easier fight too. GSP only really has the appeal if the next belt is on the line also.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

    Black Belt In Chickenheads!

    If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!


    We Are The People!

    When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions


    Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BluenoseGreig For This Useful Post:

    Kickass32 (11-12-2017)

  7. #155
    Crypt Administrator
    Kickass32's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    54,697
    Points
    10,332.55
    Thanks
    8,143
    Thanked 5,784 Times in 4,815 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    Exactly, the biggest fight in MMA is the one where Conor has the chance to beat a legend, but also win a 3rd world title.......yes a defence over a legend is great too, but so would be a defence over say Holloway at 155, an easier fight too. GSP only really has the appeal if the next belt is on the line also.
    That's my take. The whole allure to a GSP fight is for Conor to have a chance to make history.....being against a legend is the icing on the cake
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

    The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

    Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickass32 For This Useful Post:

    BluenoseGreig (11-12-2017)

  9. #156
    Crypter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,579
    Points
    30,892.88
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 318 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    I don't think it is...not unless Conor gets a crack at a 3rd belt.....it's still a big fight, but not a lot bigger than any Conor fight that doesn't involve a 3rd title shot...IMO anyways
    Well whatever. I think you guys are nutty, but, from my perspective, I'd be much more interested seeing GSP fight Conor at 155, because I think Conor has a realistic shot there. At 170 it would just be another spectacle.

    Conor may as well go fight Woodley right now. He's got about the same chance in that fight... and the belt could be on the line.

  10. #157
    Brotherhood
    JAX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Great white North
    Posts
    8,161
    Points
    6,273.93
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tukh View Post
    Well whatever. I think you guys are nutty, but, from my perspective, I'd be much more interested seeing GSP fight Conor at 155, because I think Conor has a realistic shot there. At 170 it would just be another spectable.

    Conor may as well go fight Woodley right now. He's got about the same chance in that fight... and the belt could be on the line.
    Exactly, he's not calling out Woodley for a reason...he will get killed and he knows it, let alone against GSP. The GSP fight will prob make him the most money in an mma fight ever.

  11. #158
    Crypt Administrator
    BluenoseGreig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    58,378
    Points
    5,535.52
    Thanks
    7,034
    Thanked 5,705 Times in 4,950 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Tukh View Post
    Well whatever. I think you guys are nutty, but, from my perspective, I'd be much more interested seeing GSP fight Conor at 155, because I think Conor has a realistic shot there. At 170 it would just be another spectacle.

    Conor may as well go fight Woodley right now. He's got about the same chance in that fight... and the belt could be on the line.
    I agree with all of that, but we're talking about Conor, he likes to make cash and history......having a better chance of winning won't bother him, it clearly didn't when he took on Floyd. As for fighting Woodley now, I honestly would not be surprised if that wasn't his next fight too, I reckon it'll be on the table anyway.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

    Black Belt In Chickenheads!

    If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!


    We Are The People!

    When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions


    Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

  12. #159
    Brotherhood
    Mu_Shin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    3,862
    Points
    2,026.59
    Thanks
    827
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 856 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Catching up way late on this discussion, but just wanted to say what a great debate this thread has been. Lots of good points and give and take. That's why I come here...

    Been so busy I don't know which end is up, probably missed lots of stuff in the past couple of weeks, but I have a couple thoughts:

    I don't think the GSP who beat Bisping at 185, who worked as he described in that interview with Helwani to put on the muscle and hold 185, would commit to dropping 30 pounds at this point in his career, or in his life. Look how badly things have gone for Johny Hendricks, who did so many crazy cuts, and has seen a precipitous decline in the quality of his performances. The history of gaining three division belts must be very alluring, but a guy who walks around in the 190-200 pound range and fought for years at 170 had to put on significant muscle to be a viable contender against naturally bigger, stronger guys more naturally suited to fight at middleweight.

    Can easily see GSP fighting again at 170, but my personal opinion is that Tyron Woodley stacks up really well skill-wise against St. Pierre, and especially in the striking realm, has a great chance to win that fight. Wondering if GSP is still enough of a martial artist at heart, and not a money-obsessed carnival barker like McGregor (who I believe is a really good fighter) to want to fight the best simply because that's the greatest challenge, or if he's really interested in the legacy/history aspect of the three division possibility.

    For me, his legacy is already assured. Taking the MW belt on his return, after so much time off, after such a storied career, he's Hall of Fame, he's among the greatest in the sport's history, even if he never fights again. As he said in the interview Blue posted, anyone CAN beat anyone on any given day. Again, personally, I'd much rather see St. Pierre return to 170 as opposed to competing at 185, and in the event he DID re-take the belt at 170, I'm having a really hard time imagining him committing to potentially damage his body and compromise everything he's worked for to drop to 155, even if it was the biggest money MMA match of all time, against Conor...

    Don't even think it's that much of a discussion: St. Pierre, in my opinion, steamrolls McGregor at 170, not even competitive. Conor spends that fight, as long as it lasts, fighting off his back against one of the best MMA wrestlers who's ever walked into the octagon. Not what most casual fans want to see, not what the powers that be want to promote, and if he's got the brains I believe he does, not the fight McGregor wants to tarnish his earning potential going forward.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mu_Shin For This Useful Post:

    BigDawg_04 (11-24-2017),BluenoseGreig (11-24-2017),Kickass32 (11-24-2017),Tukh (11-24-2017)

  14. #160
    Crypt Administrator
    Kickass32's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    54,697
    Points
    10,332.55
    Thanks
    8,143
    Thanked 5,784 Times in 4,815 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Mu_Shin View Post
    Catching up way late on this discussion, but just wanted to say what a great debate this thread has been. Lots of good points and give and take. That's why I come here...

    Been so busy I don't know which end is up, probably missed lots of stuff in the past couple of weeks, but I have a couple thoughts:

    I don't think the GSP who beat Bisping at 185, who worked as he described in that interview with Helwani to put on the muscle and hold 185, would commit to dropping 30 pounds at this point in his career, or in his life. Look how badly things have gone for Johny Hendricks, who did so many crazy cuts, and has seen a precipitous decline in the quality of his performances. The history of gaining three division belts must be very alluring, but a guy who walks around in the 190-200 pound range and fought for years at 170 had to put on significant muscle to be a viable contender against naturally bigger, stronger guys more naturally suited to fight at middleweight.

    Can easily see GSP fighting again at 170, but my personal opinion is that Tyron Woodley stacks up really well skill-wise against St. Pierre, and especially in the striking realm, has a great chance to win that fight. Wondering if GSP is still enough of a martial artist at heart, and not a money-obsessed carnival barker like McGregor (who I believe is a really good fighter) to want to fight the best simply because that's the greatest challenge, or if he's really interested in the legacy/history aspect of the three division possibility.

    For me, his legacy is already assured. Taking the MW belt on his return, after so much time off, after such a storied career, he's Hall of Fame, he's among the greatest in the sport's history, even if he never fights again. As he said in the interview Blue posted, anyone CAN beat anyone on any given day. Again, personally, I'd much rather see St. Pierre return to 170 as opposed to competing at 185, and in the event he DID re-take the belt at 170, I'm having a really hard time imagining him committing to potentially damage his body and compromise everything he's worked for to drop to 155, even if it was the biggest money MMA match of all time, against Conor...

    Don't even think it's that much of a discussion: St. Pierre, in my opinion, steamrolls McGregor at 170, not even competitive. Conor spends that fight, as long as it lasts, fighting off his back against one of the best MMA wrestlers who's ever walked into the octagon. Not what most casual fans want to see, not what the powers that be want to promote, and if he's got the brains I believe he does, not the fight McGregor wants to tarnish his earning potential going forward.
    Good take as usual buddy
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

    The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.
    Ronald Reagan

    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
    Ronald Reagan

    Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickass32 For This Useful Post:

    Mu_Shin (11-26-2017)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •