Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rockhold fires back at DFW

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,248 Times in 4,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tukh View Post
    I think that's the wrong question.

If everyone was available tomorrow, the question would be, which 2 fights will sell more:
    - Bisping/Romero + GSP/Woodley
    - Bisping/GSP + Woodley/Maia

Anyway, who cares? Are we fans of the sport or fans of the UFC marketing department? GSP/Woodley is just a much more interesting fight than GSP/Bisping.
    Again, I agree.......but those options don't appear to be in play at all.
    Women, Dinosaurs and Violence of the Octagon

Black Belt In Chickenheads!

If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough!

We Are The People!

When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BluenoseGreig For This Useful Post:

Tukh (05-18-2017)

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    Try reading that again, no premise of mine........it was what I read on Twitter. As usual though, you never actually read anything properly, just have your predetermined opinions.

As for the point you make, I totally agree though. GSP vs whomever would draw, and I suspect a fight with Anderson would do greater numbers than a fight with Bisping too.......the only problem is that doesn't seem to be on the table, GSP only wants to fight Bisping.
    This blaming me for not reading your posts correctly is getting to be a tired excuse for what you are putting forth at times.

You did in fact rationalize that match up by trying to imply that Dana had a point and that is was happening because of numbers it will draw.

My response was to that directly, and my point was valid. I've made the same point when people try to push the idiotic idea that Conor should be facing Diaz again, because it will draw big numbers.

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tukh View Post
    I think that's the wrong question.

If everyone was available tomorrow, the question would be, which 2 fights will sell more:
    - Bisping/Romero + GSP/Woodley
    - Bisping/GSP + Woodley/Maia

Anyway, who cares? Are we fans of the sport or fans of the UFC marketing department? GSP/Woodley is just a much more interesting fight than GSP/Bisping.
    I think the UFC and GSP both want to avoid Woodley, because they know that he's a better version of what Big Rigg was when he beat GSP and they realize that he'd bury GSP. Not a smart fight for them to make in his first fight back if they want to keep him standing upright.

What I don't understand is why they don't just give GSP an easy catch up fight against a guy that he can demolish. It makes perfect sense to me. Give GSP a guy that he can waste to make it look like he is back and better than ever after the time off. Get him all this glory and hype and the casuals would likely jump all over that idea and then you make a huge fight for GSP or the big match up where you know he is likely to get stuned by a guy like Woodley. But I'd get at least one easy victory for him, because A. IT will still sell a lot, and B. You can create way more hype that way for the title shot after GSP beats someone really good and gets people to buy in.

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Tex View Post
    This blaming me for not reading your posts correctly is getting to be a tired excuse for what you are putting forth at times.

You did in fact rationalize that match up by trying to imply that Dana had a point and that is was happening because of numbers it will draw.

My response was to that directly, and my point was valid. I've made the same point when people try to push the idiotic idea that Conor should be facing Diaz again, because it will draw big numbers.
    The point I'm making is that you take my post as my opinion all the time, which is not often the case.......more what I'm seeing said or done, or an actual impression of a situation. Big difference to my own opinion.

On your points, I did agree though......other than that they are really not even being considered by the UFC.

We Are The People!

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Tex View Post
    I think the UFC and GSP both want to avoid Woodley, because they know that he's a better version of what Big Rigg was when he beat GSP and they realize that he'd bury GSP. Not a smart fight for them to make in his first fight back if they want to keep him standing upright.

What I don't understand is why they don't just give GSP an easy catch up fight against a guy that he can demolish. It makes perfect sense to me. Give GSP a guy that he can waste to make it look like he is back and better than ever after the time off. Get him all this glory and hype and the casuals would likely jump all over that idea and then you make a huge fight for GSP or the big match up where you know he is likely to get stuned by a guy like Woodley. But I'd get at least one easy victory for him, because A. IT will still sell a lot, and B. You can create way more hype that way for the title shot after GSP beats someone really good and gets people to buy in.
    From listening to GSP interviews lately, and from what the media guys seem to have figured out, GSP doesn't want any other fight than Bisping, for the belt.......that was the only option presented to the UFC for him to return. Pretty sure Freddy Roach said the same thing in an interview a wee while back too. GSP has a 3 fight plan, fight one was Bisping for the belt.......then Maia(should he beat Woodley), for the belt......then finishing off with the big money fight with Conor.

We Are The People!

Brotherhood
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,017 Posts
    GSP vs Bisping appeals to more fans than GSP vs Romero. Take into consideration the casuals and the ones who want to see GSP fight. That's the comparison. Nothing else, just those two fights as options. Like previously mentioned, GSP could fight a mop and it'd draw big numbers. So that's Dana's logic. I don't care which we see, I'm here to watch the fights and be entertained. Not going to pretend UFC owes me anything or I'm a massive part of their match making.
    "Hard work pays off, dreams come true, bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!" - Scott Hall 2014

Brotherhood
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BluenoseGreig View Post
    From listening to GSP interviews lately, and from what the media guys seem to have figured out, GSP doesn't want any other fight than Bisping, for the belt.......that was the only option presented to the UFC for him to return. Pretty sure Freddy Roach said the same thing in an interview a wee while back too. GSP has a 3 fight plan, fight one was Bisping for the belt.......then Maia(should he beat Woodley), for the belt......then finishing off with the big money fight with Conor.
    That's for sure his intent, It all depends on what happens and if he's allowed to do so, there was an obvious screw up when GSP signed the contract and timeline of his actual return, GSP says the UFC knew about his timeline but Bisping, UFC don't really see it that way. I'm not really sure how the UFC really thought this through with having a stacked division and having a timeline so far off. Bisping is not fighting Romero either way no matter how long he has to wait for GSP....prob is who knows when this fight will actually take place closer to 2018 is more the reality.

The UFC fucted up here not sure how they will deal with it besides wait a long time.

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,129 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Problem seems to be, at least to me, is if the UFC keep making these idiotic fights for 1 or 2 fighters while at the same time holding divisions hostage and pissing of legitimate title contenders, the UFC will cease being what it is....fighters will eventually tell Dana et al to go fuck themselves and move on
    “The downside to gun control is genocide.”

“To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens.”
    "Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater."

You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one.

Welcome to MMA Crypt Check out our RULES !

Brotherhood
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    Problem seems to be, at least to me, is if the UFC keep making these idiotic fights for 1 or 2 fighters while at the same time holding divisions hostage and pissing of legitimate title contenders, the UFC will cease being what it is....fighters will eventually tell Dana et al to go fuck themselves and move on
    That's why I'm glad Rockhold had the balls to tell Dana how he felt about the situation....If the fight still takes place Romero wont be fighting and I believe he was paid to step aside, Whitaker said he's not fighting as did Rockhold unless things get moving, and Mousasi hasn't been officially signed yet and I'm sure that's something he will consider. this "money" fight has backfired for the UFC IMO.

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JAX View Post
    That's for sure his intent, It all depends on what happens and if he's allowed to do so, there was an obvious screw up when GSP signed the contract and timeline of his actual return, GSP says the UFC knew about his timeline but Bisping, UFC don't really see it that way. I'm not really sure how the UFC really thought this through with having a stacked division and having a timeline so far off. Bisping is not fighting Romero either way no matter how long he has to wait for GSP....prob is who knows when this fight will actually take place closer to 2018 is more the reality.

The UFC fucted up here not sure how they will deal with it besides wait a long time.
    Yep, when GSP asked for this fight/contract, the UFC should have also arranged a date and venue in writing........the lack of doing so, has caused so many problems, not to mention the slow draining interest in GSP's return, that has been a terrible move.

We Are The People!