Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan comments on 'the decline of GSP' and the stat referencing that GSP has absorbed nearly half as many strikes in his past three fights compared to title reign

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,698 Posts

Joe Rogan comments on 'the decline of GSP' and the stat referencing that GSP has absorbed nearly half as many strikes in his past three fights compared to title reign

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    I'll post the article in it's own thread that they're talking about in this video.

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Here's the stat from the article that I posted over here The End Of Georges St-Pierre ? :

Since he first won the welterweight title, he's taken, in addition to who knows how many shots in training, 875 strikes in competition, per the official statistics, with nearly half—412—now having come in his last three bouts.

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 836 Posts
    That's a scary number but I think it also shows the playing field has gotten better. As beat up as Georges was, in my eyes, he clearly won round 5. That a valid champion in my eyes. Similar to how Jones beat Gust, he showed his champion heart and both guys took the most important round of the fight. If GSP had won the first 3 rounds and just held on the last 2 to get the win, I would be buying into the sky is falling for GSP crap. However, it didn't go down that way. He answered the bell in round 5 after getting beat up and said, nope, this is my fucking belt. He was right, most of us were wrong.
    Don't call it a comeback...

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    I love GSP, but I've mentioned to several guys that since his knee surgery and subsequent return to the Octagon, that we're not seeing the GSP of old... and I've also mentioned that he hasn't looked as good in his last several fights, and that stat pretty much confirms things.

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    If beating Condit, Diaz and Hendricks is a decline of a career. WOW. Sorry, not buying it. Sometimes guys just get beat by better fighters without declining. If Hendricks and GSP fight again, that's what I think happens. Do we feel Jones is also on the decline cause he got beat up in a fight that he still won?

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Just stating the statistical facts.

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Yes, stats that show he's been hit a lot more now than before. That does not equal decline. It could but I think anybody that fights 3 damn good strikers like Condit, Diaz and Hendricks is going to get hit a whole lot more than they are used to being hit. So yeah, facts are correct that he gets hit a lot in his last 3 but no way does that mean it's a decline, that simply speculation.

Brotherhood
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    I think what that we've not seen him completely dominate like he used to, no more wrestle fucking. Which I think attributes to the knee surgery as well and loss of explosiveness, but I also I think fighters adapted to that style. Those last three guys all had great TDD against him with Condit and Big Rig being more efficient. I think it's a combination of both factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    God I would love to pee in her butt.

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    I think the striking stat is silly to look at...In his last 3 fights, GSP has faced (with the possible exception of Hardy) BY FAR the 3 best strikers he has ever faced. You're not going to get punched a whole lot by guys like Serra, Hughes, Fitch, KOS, etc, especially when compared to the striking output that his last 3 opponents have had in their careers