Thread: Randy Couture wants no part of Junior Dos Santos

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,698 Posts

Randy Couture wants no part of Junior Dos Santos

Randy Couture is a former UFC heavyweight champion © Getty Images

ESPN staff
    June 6, 2012

Former UFC heavyweight champion Randy Coutureinsists he does not want to get near reigning champJunior Dos Santos after seeing him obliterate Frank Mir at UFC 146.

Couture, who won UFC gold at heavyweight and light-heavyweight, produced his most famous moment of an astonishing career when he came out of retirement to beat champion Tim Sylvia back at UFC 68.

Now 48 years of age, 'The Natural' insists there is no chance of him being tempted to try and repeat the feat against Dos Santos, who is currently dominating everybody who challenges him.

"No, he's really on fire," Couture told MMA Weigh-in courtesy of Fighters Only. "I thought Mir would have more in that fight - I actually picked Mir to win. But Dos Santos showed he's the real deal.

"He's the total package, amazingly quick hands, very sharp with his combinations, I've no illusions - I don't want any of that!"

Asked if there is anybody who can beat Dos Santos, Couture looked at next rival Cain Velasquez, who has already been beaten once by the Brazilian. Velasquez was knocked out in 64 seconds of the first meeting, but Couture wants him to force Dos Santos to wrestle.

"I looked at the Cain Velasquez that was against Bigfoot Silva, he was sharp, crisp, used his wrestling; I would love to see a rematch between Velasquez and Dos Santos.

"I think Velasquez is the total package, he's strong, good hands, good kicks, tremendous wrestling pedigree...

"We don't know what Dos Santos' grappling pedigree is. Somebody needs to put it to the test."

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/154203.html

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,070 Posts
    no suprise! i wasnt that impressed with jds. he did exactly what i knew he would. put his combos together when needed and exploited mir's holes. if mir got him down and he got out and back up then i would agree with cotoure. jds has some graet boxing and it's a piece ofcake to find his openings with these small gloves and mir's lack of defence to strikes.

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,851 Times in 2,461 Posts
    I took Mir to win the fight, mainly based on a hunch that he would get the fight to the ground...and yeah I was wrong big time!

On another point, is Randy considering having another fight?
    Proud to be Scots, Delighted to be United

Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to, Oh Well

All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy. Think I'll lose my mind if i don't find something to pacify. Can you help me? Occupy my brain

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough!

We Are The People!

Welcome to MMA Crypt Be sure to check out our RULES !

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Good to see Machida's kick to Randy's face didn't knock the sense out of him.
    How do you tell a communist? Well, it’s someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It’s someone who understands Marx and Lenin. Ronald Reagan
    "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence." Ronald Reagan

Welcome to MMA Crypt Check out our RULES !

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Daley View Post
    no suprise! i wasnt that impressed with jds. he did exactly what i knew he would. put his combos together when needed and exploited mir's holes. if mir got him down and he got out and back up then i would agree with cotoure. jds has some graet boxing and it's a piece ofcake to find his openings with these small gloves and mir's lack of defence to strikes.
    But Daley, isn't it just as impressive that Mir couldn't get JDS to the ground as it would have been if JDS had stood back up? I was very impressed with JDS in that fight. Granted I was pretty sure he was going to beat Mir in pretty much the exact way he did, but does that make it unimpressive? Just because he was expected to do it doesn't make it unimpressive. He smashed Mir, beat the tar out of him. Besides, we have seen JDS's wrestling get tested. Carwin got him down very briefly and he got right back up. Sure Cain is probably a better test, but it's hardly untested.

What about Cain's lack of defense of strikes? Was that easy too? I don't get the criticism to be honest.
    I respect different sexual orientations, but I advise him not to touch me... - Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic

Jon Lober said he wanted to strangle me like Jonbenet Ramsey. I found that pretty crude...so I kicked the shit out of him... - Frank Shamrock

I've been doing this since BJ was in his father's nutsack - Renzo Gracie

Tim Sylvia! Hahaha...no, it didn't last very long. - Fedor Emelianenko

Yes, I remember stomping his face. - Badr Hari