Jordan Mein fights Tyler Stinson on July 14 in Strikeforce.

Mike Johnston | June 1, 2012, 1:34 pm

Strikeforce welterweight Jordan Mein's ultimate goal is to make it to the top of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

On the latest episode of The Showdown on Sportsnet 590 The Fan the Canadian told UFC CENTRAL host (Showdown) Joe Ferraro that although there is tons of talent to compete against in Strikeforce, he wants to land in the UFC.

"It's definitely my goal to be UFC champ. I'm in the sport to be the best … I want to go to the top and do my best and hopefully have a long, long career."

Mein's next bout is against Tyler Stinson at the Strikeforce event on July 14 and knows he's in for a tough test.

"He's scrappy, he's got KO power, he's lanky, he throws, he's a lefty. A lot of challenges, but it's very exciting."

Mein is coming off a split decision loss to top Strikeforce contender Tyron Woodley and the Lethbridge, Alta., native said he could have done a lot more to win that fight.

"I made a lot of rookie mistakes. I've had 30-some fights now and I'm still making some mistakes I shouldn't be making like rushing in at him, jumping at him, trying to kill him too much rather than playing it a little more safe."

He also said that he still has lots to learn when he's put on his back from a dominant wrestler and has a lot to prove in his next outing.

"I need to come out hard and be aggressive and get a big win … I'm looking to come out blasting, come out hard and not obviously silly and exposing myself but I'm looking for a first-round (finish) definitely."

Mein added that with a win over Stinson he would be eyeing a title shot. Woodley is scheduled to fight former UFC middleweight Nate Marquardt on the same card for the vacant Strikeforce 170-pound title.

"I'd love to fight Marquardt. He'd be a good matchup for me. We'll see how him and Woodley go down, but there's so many guys that I could fight every welterweight (in Strikeforce). All of them are tough guys and I'd love to get as much experience as I can."

Audio: Listen to the full interview with Jordan Mein and the entire May 31 episode of The Showdown on Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Also on the show

-- Canadian Patrick Cote talks about his return to the UFC and his upcoming bout with Cung Le at UFC 148.

-- Jonathan Tweedale of the Vancouver Athletic Commission thoroughly explains the passing of Bill 50 in British Columbia and what it means for the sport in that province.

-- Plus, the panel breaks down all the action from last week's UFC 146 card and looks ahead to the TUF Live finale.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/06/..._wants_in_ufc/