Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,803 Posts

Jake Shields and Rampage Jackson Need to Change Their Styles

Jake Shields and Rampage Jackson Need to Change Their Styles

By Matthew Ryder
    (Featured Columnist) on February 26, 2012

Two guys. Two top-flight mixed martial artists who have relied on a given style for a long time. Two guys with very different results at UFC 144.
    The first is Jake Shields, the Cesar Gracie jiu-jitsu black belt who has long been quite literally mopping the mat with his opponents. He was successful in his bid to end a two fight losing skid Saturday night, as he overcame a rejuvenated Yoshihiro Akiyama on the way to a decision win.
    The second is Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, the former PRIDE star UFC light heavyweight champion known for slamming guys through the mat back in the day and knocking them senseless with his hands in more recent years. He suffered a lopsided beating at the hands of Ryan Bader, a wrestling standout who would have never thrashed Jackson so resoundingly in a past era.
    They do share one thing in common, however: they’re in need of a revised approach to the fight game.
    Beginning with Shields, he simply can’t be so reliant on taking guys down and working them over anymore. The game has evolved, and while Shields has shown signs of progressing with it, far too often he’s content to starve on the ground when he could feast on the feet.
    In the fight against Akiyama he spent much of the time standing just doing enough to get the takedown. It simply never came. He was fortunate to touch up his stagnant opponent with passable kickboxing, but it was obvious he was so focused on getting it to the ground that he didn’t realize how well it was going on the feet.
    He did eventually get it to the mat, where he effortlessly took Akiyama’s back, but he ran out of time before he could finish a choke. He had to settle for a decision.
    Moments later, Rampage stormed the octagon to the tune of his beloved PRIDE theme music. He entered, touched gloves with Bader, and started swinging. In response, Bader started wrestling.
    Fifteen minutes later, Rampage had his second straight loss and Bader had the biggest win of his career.
    In an effort to be exciting, something that is of paramount importance to him, Jackson completely ignored an element of mixed martial arts and ended up tasting uneventful and certainly frustrating defeat for it. What’s worse, it’s an element of mixed martial arts that he’s proven to be good at but chooses to cast aside.
    What’s interesting about Shields and Jackson is that they’re at completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Shields needs to let his fists do the talking a bit more often instead of being so resigned to getting a takedown, while Jackson needs to stop headhunting and mix in some wrestling if he hopes to see any success in whatever fights he has left.
    They’re two veterans of the sport, two guys who have been champions and great warriors, and they’re also perilously close to seeing the next generation pass them by if they don’t make some changes.
    Whether or not that happens is up to them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...e-their-styles
    How do you tell a communist? Well, its someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? Its someone who understands Marx and Lenin. Ronald Reagan
    "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence." Ronald Reagan

Welcome to MMA Crypt Check out our RULES !

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    They don't need to change their styles so much as supplement their styles with the tools they need to be complete fighters. Jake might be able to do that. For Rampage it's too late. He needs to start seriously considering retirement, his days as a top 205er are over.
    I respect different sexual orientations, but I advise him not to touch me... - Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic

Jon Lober said he wanted to strangle me like Jonbenet Ramsey. I found that pretty crude...so I kicked the shit out of him... - Frank Shamrock

I've been doing this since BJ was in his father's nutsack - Renzo Gracie

Tim Sylvia! Hahaha...no, it didn't last very long. - Fedor Emelianenko

Yes, I remember stomping his face. - Badr Hari

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    jake shields dont need to change shit... he had a rather dominate performance i mean... he dominated on the feet... and when he did get the takedown... he dominated there too... it should of been a 30-26 win... cause yama should of lost a point for all that fence grabbing at the end of the 3rd round...

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Shields didn't come close to dominating that fight.....he did nothing to win it, rather Akiyama gave it away. Shields hit on what, 14% of his TD attempts, Akiyama dominated Shields in the grappling, and if he had've let his hands go, Shields would've lost again.

Really Shields has only this win in the UFC, and a gift from the judges in the Kampmann fight. Shields has looked like crap in everyone of his UFC fights.....I'd say he needs to change things up a bit.
    How do you tell a communist? Well, its someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? Its someone who understands Marx and Lenin. Ronald Reagan
    "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence." Ronald Reagan

Crypter
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Shields needs to go back to strikeforce
    "I don't know how old Don King is, but it sure would be nice if he died already. I don't care if it's from natural causes or one of the coke'd out boxers he promotes pulls a drive by on his house. All I'm saying is it would be nice." -Mickey Knox

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.-Bob Marley

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Shields is 1-3 in the UFC now...officially 2-2, but he was given the gift by the judges in the Kampmann fight, and he hasn't looked good in any of his UFC fights.
    Shields won't beat any of the top WW's in the UFC.

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
    Shields is 1-3 in the UFC now...officially 2-2, but he was given the gift by the judges in the Kampmann fight, and he hasn't looked good in any of his UFC fights.
    Shields won't beat any of the top WW's in the UFC.
    I thought he lost to Akiyama actually. So we could say 1-3.

Always Supporting
    HW: Velasquez
    LHW: Mousasi, Magalhaes
    MW: Belfort, Weidman
    WW: Condit, Maia,
    LW: Aoki, Healy, Henderson, Pettis, McGregor
    FW: Aldo, Jung
    BW: Cruz, McDonald, Dantas
    FW: Uyenoyama, Johnson

Crypt Administrator
    Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,098 Posts
    sheilds has been a big flop and akiyama has been a bigger one. they gave sheilds a big contract but i guess he made them alot of money against gsp when he was hot. never count anyone out as look at hunt go! that guy has been impressive.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

rampage isnt in it right now mentally, a good fight like shogun should fuel him again. im sure there feeding rampage wrestlers so he will lose. zuffa can pull him back out of this aswell. franklinh would be a good fight for quinton aswell. shogun will bring out the best rampage we have seen in a long time.

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonColts18 View Post
    jake shields dont need to change shit... he had a rather dominate performance i mean... he dominated on the feet... and when he did get the takedown... he dominated there too... it should of been a 30-26 win... cause yama should of lost a point for all that fence grabbing at the end of the 3rd round...
    Dominated? Lol!

He dominated absolutely nothing. What do you call dominating, because I'd like to know if you think he dominated anything standing. Hell, he didn't even know if he was going to win the fight at the end. That is not dominating or even close to it.

His stand up needs major work. It always has. He is just like Werdum where his punches are nothing but mosquito bite types of punches to set up a TD. There is no power behind them and they aren't effective other than to create confusion.

It's pretty crazy to me at how Jake trains where he does around guys like Nick, Nate, and Gilbert all whom have gotten so much better standing wise, but Jake hasn't.

He has struggled against every fighter he has fought since coming to the UFC.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
    Shields needs to go back to strikeforce
    I won't say that, and that is stretching it a bit. He is definitely UFC material, but no way is he elite. His "stick to you like glue" style helps and saves him in fights. He is nothing more than another Fitch really that is less effective with his "Fitch style" but anyone knew that before he ever entered the UFC that paid attention to SF and watched his fights over there.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Now as far as Rampage goes, man I'm still flaburgasted at the fact that so many people continue to root for this guy. Take away all of the stuff he has said and done over the years, but the guy has been boring as hell in the cage and continually refuses to get better or evolve all the while trashing everyone else. He may have been exciting way back in his Pride days, but he's been horrible in the UFC as far as excitement goes ever since he KO'd Wand who hasn't been able to hardly beat anyone who was any good. Even Rampage's wins have been lack luster. It's been no secret that he hasn't taken his job that seriously the last two years, but to come in that over weight and to look that bad is not surprising and expected at this point.

The only reason he is even relevant at this point is because 205 has become one of the worst divisions in the UFC. Even HW is better now.

Crypt Cash
    Thanks
    Shields was about as far from being dominant as possible while still getting a W. Sure he had volume of strikes on his side, but his striking was anything but effective. Akiyama bloodied him up and didn't get a scratch while landing a fraction of the strikes Shields did. That's the definition of effective striking. Furthermore, Shields running forward throwing lousy punches is not Octagon control. Akiyama stuffing his takedowns easily and tossing him around is octagon control. How could any judge give Shields that first round? I'm still scratching my head.
    I respect different sexual orientations, but I advise him not to touch me... - Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic

Jon Lober said he wanted to strangle me like Jonbenet Ramsey. I found that pretty crude...so I kicked the shit out of him... - Frank Shamrock

I've been doing this since BJ was in his father's nutsack - Renzo Gracie

Tim Sylvia! Hahaha...no, it didn't last very long. - Fedor Emelianenko

Yes, I remember stomping his face. - Badr Hari