• Dana White: Junior dos Santos is very Chuck Liddell-like in his attack

    http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo...0061256286.jpg

    Dana White: Junior dos Santos is very Chuck Liddell-like in his attack

    http://cdn1.sbnation.com/profile_ima...gus-2_tiny.jpg by Jesse Holland on Mar 30, 2012 12:09 PM EDT



    How will Junior dos Santos perform in the clinch?
    That's one of the many burning questions UFC President Dana White is asking about his reigning heavyweight champion, who defends his 265-pound strap against Alistair Overeem at UFC 146 on May 26 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
    "Sin City" is where "Cigano" will collide with the DREAM, K-1 and Strikeforce World Champion, who punched his ticket to a UFC title fight by tearing through Brock Lesnar like a tissue at a snot party.
    "Demolition Man" is a world-class kickboxer known for his powerful knees and merciless clinch. The only problem is, he must first get close enough to the Brazilian to apply the plum -- and not get KTFO in the process. If he manages to wrangle Dos Santos, how will his opponent cope?
    White asks that question (and a few more) at MMA Weekly, after the jump.


    "For me, the question is how is Dos Santos going to deal with the kicks and the knees and the elbows? Since he’s been in the UFC, I’ve never seen him have to deal with that. It’s stuff that he’s going to have to deal with from Alistair Overeem. He’s fought a pretty one-dimensional fight, he’s fought very Chuck Liddell-like in that he’s great at defending the takedown, he drops bombs, he throws heavy punches, but he’s never dealt with anybody who’s going to throw kicks and knees and work in the clinch the way that Alistair Overeem does. I’m real curious to see how Junior Dos Santos is planning on dealing with that."

    In his heyday, Liddell was ruling the 205-pound roost by knocking fools stiff with his overhand right. Most strikers (not named Quinton Jackson) couldn't go punch-for-punch and most wrestlers (not named Randy Couture) couldn't take him down.
    That gave "The Iceman" the ability to implement his gameplan and work at his pace.
    So too, has Dos Santos been able to set the tempo in recent fights. The hardest puncher (Shane Carwin) couldn't drop him and the best wrestler (Cain Velasquez) failed on two takedown attempts.
    That leaves the clinch.

    http://www.mmamania.com/2012/3/30/29...-146#storyjump
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Dana White: Junior dos Santos is very Chuck Liddell-like in his attack started by Kickass32 View original post
    Comments 14 Comments
    1. Misfit's Avatar
      Misfit -
      I will add that sakuraba was really a ww that was fighting as mw and had no fucking business fighting guys like silva, cro cop and rampage at lhw and plus.
    1. jbleedin's Avatar
      jbleedin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
      Chuck had also lost some of his power by the time they actually fought. Think the Liddell/A.O fight, and that's how I see Wandy/Chuck ending up if the fight happened in '05.

      But let's not pretend Silva was fighting the cream of the crop...I'd take the guys Chuck fought over most of the guys Wandy fought..............
      Tatsuya Iwasaki
      Hiromitsu Kanehara
      Kazushi Sakuraba
      Ikuhisa Minowa
      Hidehiko Yoshida
      Yuki Kondo
      Kazuhiro Nakamura
      Kazuyuki Fujita
      Quinton Jackson
      Ricardo Arona

      The only legit 205 fighters in there are Arona and Jackson, and he lost to Arona both times...even though Wandy was given a gift in the second fight, official stats say he won by split decision, that was a big time gift by the judges.
      Sakuraba was an undersized 205, he was really a MW blown up to fight Wandy.

      Compared to:
      Vitor Belfort
      Renato Sobral
      Randy Couture
      Alistair Overeem
      Quinton Jackson
      Tito Ortiz
      Jeremy Horn
      Vernon White

      I think Chuck's list of opponents is a better list of fighters.

      And yes Lil Nog has been stopped Sokudjou KO'd him in under 30 seconds back in Pride.
      That post says it all. Chuck fought much better competition than Wandy did...
    1. Red Tex's Avatar
      Red Tex -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
      Chuck had also lost some of his power by the time they actually fought. Think the Liddell/A.O fight, and that's how I see Wandy/Chuck ending up if the fight happened in '05.

      But let's not pretend Silva was fighting the cream of the crop...I'd take the guys Chuck fought over most of the guys Wandy fought..............
      Tatsuya Iwasaki
      Hiromitsu Kanehara
      Kazushi Sakuraba
      Ikuhisa Minowa
      Hidehiko Yoshida
      Yuki Kondo
      Kazuhiro Nakamura
      Kazuyuki Fujita
      Quinton Jackson
      Ricardo Arona

      The only legit 205 fighters in there are Arona and Jackson, and he lost to Arona both times...even though Wandy was given a gift in the second fight, official stats say he won by split decision, that was a big time gift by the judges.
      Sakuraba was an undersized 205, he was really a MW blown up to fight Wandy.

      Compared to:
      Vitor Belfort
      Renato Sobral
      Randy Couture
      Alistair Overeem
      Quinton Jackson
      Tito Ortiz
      Jeremy Horn
      Vernon White

      I think Chuck's list of opponents is a better list of fighters.

      And yes Lil Nog has been stopped Sokudjou KO'd him in under 30 seconds back in Pride.
      Great post and analysis all together Kickass.
    1. Kimurafan's Avatar
      Kimurafan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kickass32 View Post
      Chuck had also lost some of his power by the time they actually fought. Think the Liddell/A.O fight, and that's how I see Wandy/Chuck ending up if the fight happened in '05.

      But let's not pretend Silva was fighting the cream of the crop...I'd take the guys Chuck fought over most of the guys Wandy fought..............
      Tatsuya Iwasaki
      Hiromitsu Kanehara
      Kazushi Sakuraba
      Ikuhisa Minowa
      Hidehiko Yoshida
      Yuki Kondo
      Kazuhiro Nakamura
      Kazuyuki Fujita
      Quinton Jackson
      Ricardo Arona

      The only legit 205 fighters in there are Arona and Jackson, and he lost to Arona both times...even though Wandy was given a gift in the second fight, official stats say he won by split decision, that was a big time gift by the judges.
      Sakuraba was an undersized 205, he was really a MW blown up to fight Wandy.

      Compared to:
      Vitor Belfort
      Renato Sobral
      Randy Couture
      Alistair Overeem
      Quinton Jackson
      Tito Ortiz
      Jeremy Horn
      Vernon White

      I think Chuck's list of opponents is a better list of fighters.

      And yes Lil Nog has been stopped Sokudjou KO'd him in under 30 seconds back in Pride.
      Good call bro, forgot about the Sokoudjou stoppage, what a brutal KO!!

      Define quality fighters...the fact that a lot of those guys are japanese doesn't make them bad fighters. Randy Coutures legacy at 205 is based on wins over Chuck and Vitor...Vitor who lost to Sakuraba. Misfit, you said Sakuraba is a WW right? Vitor lost to him so obsviously he doesn't count as a quality win.

      Wandy lost to Arona both times?? Very wrong my friend.

      Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    1. Kickass32's Avatar
      Kickass32 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Red Tex View Post
      Great post and analysis all together Kickass.
      Why thank you kind sir.
    1. Kickass32's Avatar
      Kickass32 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kimurafan View Post
      Good call bro, forgot about the Sokoudjou stoppage, what a brutal KO!!

      Wandy lost to Arona both times?? Very wrong my friend.

      Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
      officially Wandy is 1-1 with Arona, Wandy's win being a split decision that was pretty much a gift.....now at the time Arona was right up there with Chuck, Wand and Shogun as to who was arguably the best LHW in the world, and a loss to Arona is nothing to be ashamed about.
    1. Misfit's Avatar
      Misfit -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kimurafan View Post
      Good call bro, forgot about the Sokoudjou stoppage, what a brutal KO!!

      Define quality fighters...the fact that a lot of those guys are japanese doesn't make them bad fighters. Randy Coutures legacy at 205 is based on wins over Chuck and Vitor...Vitor who lost to Sakuraba. Misfit, you said Sakuraba is a WW right? Vitor lost to him so obsviously he doesn't count as a quality win.

      Wandy lost to Arona both times?? Very wrong my friend.

      Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
      That was an iffy Vitor if I remember correctly. Post sister issues. But I might be the only one that preaches Sakuraba as a WW. I don't think he ever fought at WW, I just say that's where he should have been.
    1. Kickass32's Avatar
      Kickass32 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
      That was an iffy Vitor if I remember correctly. Post sister issues. But I might be the only one that preaches Sakuraba as a WW. I don't think he ever fought at WW, I just say that's where he should have been.
      I don't disagree, in today's MMA Sakuraba is definatley a WW.....certainly nothing more than 185.
    1. Misfit's Avatar
      Misfit -
      Oh, I do agree completely. Him anywhere else would be stupid. I actually have a lot of animosity towards Pride for where they had Sakuraba fighting all the time.
    1. Kimurafan's Avatar
      Kimurafan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
      That was an iffy Vitor if I remember correctly. Post sister issues. But I might be the only one that preaches Sakuraba as a WW. I don't think he ever fought at WW, I just say that's where he should have been.
      The Vitor that lost to Chuck was also post sister issues, you think that if Chuck and Vitor fought ten times chuck would come out on top? Hardly.

      Kickass...the split decision in Wands favor was iffy, not the win, watch the fight. Just because one judge had Wand losing doesn't mean it was close. Three judges had Shogun losing to Lyoto Machida. The 2004-2005 Wanderlei Silva is the greatest LHW of all time outside of Jon Jones, especially under Pride rules, Chuck can beat Randy and Tito as much as he wants and that won't change it in my mind.

      Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    1. Misfit's Avatar
      Misfit -
      It's really hard to compare the 2 IMO. Way different rules and styles of fighting. I always said Wandy was the worst person you would every want to fight in a Bar fight, no time to train, no time to put a plan together. That's how I call most Pride fights. There was very little notice on who you were fighting, you just had to go in and go for it. If Prime Chuck fights Prime Wandy in Pride 10 times, I see Wandy winning 7 or so. However, in the UFC, it was a little more organized, better apt to game plan for people. If Prime Wandy fights Prime Chuck in the UFC, I see Chuck winning 8 times, maybe 9. The "wild" way of fighting went away a lot quicker in the UFC than it did in Pride. I'm not saying one is better than the other but the UFC is here and Pride isn't to I use the UFC as the benchmark now. I don't feel all the Pride fighters where "spent" before coming over to the UFC. Most of them have looked like shit since Pride. I feel most were not able to modify their games to the different style of the UFC. I don't feel Shogun got healthy after the bad Forrest/Coleman showings, he evolved. He changed his camps, training and focus to become a much better Shogun in the UFC. Guys like wandy never evolved. As much as I freaking love the Axe Murderer, it drives me freaking crazy he can't throw a straight punch to save his life and that has cost him dearly in the UFC.
    1. Misfit's Avatar
      Misfit -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kimurafan View Post
      The Vitor that lost to Chuck was also post sister issues, you think that if Chuck and Vitor fought ten times chuck would come out on top? Hardly.

      Kickass...the split decision in Wands favor was iffy, not the win, watch the fight. Just because one judge had Wand losing doesn't mean it was close. Three judges had Shogun losing to Lyoto Machida. The 2004-2005 Wanderlei Silva is the greatest LHW of all time outside of Jon Jones, especially under Pride rules, Chuck can beat Randy and Tito as much as he wants and that won't change it in my mind.

      Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
      actually both the Sakuraba and Chuck fights were pre Sister issues. I looked it up and was shocked how long ago the Sak fight was.

      All that said, I thought Vitor was only an average fighter until he came back with Affliction. Before you spit you drink on the screen, let me clarify my thoughts. In the first 90 seconds of a fight, there might have been no better fighter in the world than Vitor but after that 90 seconds, he was at best average IMO. If he didn't win the fight early or do enough damage before be blew his wad, he didn't have shit for the rest of the fight. It wasn't until he came back with Affliction that I saw him evolve into a patient fighter. Maybe he still only has 90 seconds of pure devastation but he brings them in spurts of 5 to 10 seconds at a time and is good for the whole fight now. Yeah, he's still getting early stoppages but they are being done at proper opportunities, not hoping something lands in the first 90.
    1. Kimurafan's Avatar
      Kimurafan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
      actually both the Sakuraba and Chuck fights were pre Sister issues. I looked it up and was shocked how long ago the Sak fight was.

      All that said, I thought Vitor was only an average fighter until he came back with Affliction. Before you spit you drink on the screen, let me clarify my thoughts. In the first 90 seconds of a fight, there might have been no better fighter in the world than Vitor but after that 90 seconds, he was at best average IMO. If he didn't win the fight early or do enough damage before be blew his wad, he didn't have shit for the rest of the fight. It wasn't until he came back with Affliction that I saw him evolve into a patient fighter. Maybe he still only has 90 seconds of pure devastation but he brings them in spurts of 5 to 10 seconds at a time and is good for the whole fight now. Yeah, he's still getting early stoppages but they are being done at proper opportunities, not hoping something lands in the first 90.
      He's got at least 3 to 4 minutes of it now...just ask Anthony Johnson
    1. Misfit's Avatar
      Misfit -
      Very true but he still did try to pace himself better. AJ really brought it in that fight, maybe cause he knew he only had 90 seconds of good fight in him.